August 17, 2018

New Ebola cases in Guinea found

By Jude Titus

Health officials have confirmed two new Ebola cases in Guinea just months after the World Health Organization [WHO] declared the country free from the deadly disease.
A government agency official indicated that two people tested positive for Ebola among the four who were tested. The people were from Korokpara village where three people from the same family died in the past several weeks from vomiting and diarrhea. The World Health Organization dispatched health officials to Nzerekore, the southern area of the West African nation.
‘‘All of the sick people have been taken to the Nzerekore treatment center,’’ said the National Coordination of the Fight against Ebola Fode Tass Sylla.
WHO had on Thursday warned that Ebola could resurface any time, since in some survivors it can linger in the eyes, central nervous system and bodily fluids.
Sierra Leone authorities in January announced a vaccination programme for people quarantined following a reported Ebola death just as the West African Nation had declared an end to the deadly disease.
Doctor Brima Kargbo, Sierra Leone’s head of medical services also said they were using the VSV-EBOV vaccine which was the first to have been proven effective according to the experts. The vaccine was tested in Guinea one of the three most affected country by the outbreak, along with Sierra Leone and Liberia. Doctor Kargbo said the vaccination exercise would continue to ensure a successful fight against the epidemic.
The Ebola epidemic began with the death of a 2-year-old boy in December 2013. The virus spread fast through neighbouring countries of Liberia and Sierra Leone, with smaller outbreaks occurring in Mali, Senegal and Nigeria. In December 2015, Guinea was declared Ebola-free by the World Health Organization.
In the wake of the newly discovered Ebola virus in Guinea, Kenya in the last few days has reported two out of three suspected cases of the yellow fever after a patient succumbed to the disease at the Kenyatta National Hospital.
The Ministry of Health in Kenya has taken the matter very seriously and scaled up surveillance by calling on all Kenyans to be very keen and rush to the nearest health facility if any symptoms arise to avoid a deadly outbreak.

Related posts