By Derrick Kiplagat
Manchester United have confirmed on their official website that midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger will join the club this summer, shortly after Bayern Munich Chief Executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge announced the deal in a press conference.
The deal is subject to a medical and personal terms, but it is believed that those steps are just a formality at this point. It was reported on Friday evening that the two parties were nearing a surprising agreement for the 30-year-old German international, and Rummenigge used Saturday afternoon’s press conference to pay tribute to Schweinsteiger.
He said “Bastian wants to do something new at the end of his career. He asked that we meet his wishes. My colleagues at Manchester United have been in touch. We’ve reached an agreement over a transfer. It’s regrettable because Bastian meant a great deal to the club. He achieved great things.”
“I can only wish Bastian well. It will be an interesting new task for him,” he added.
German publication Bild reported that a deal worth around €20 million had been agreed between the clubs, with Schweinsteiger’s contract nearing an end. Reports claim the German international had reached an accord with the Red Devils over a contract thought to be worth around €10 milion a year for three years. Rummenigge had previously hinted that the move was a possibility.
“I spoke to Bastian on the phone a couple of days ago. He’s back, and we’ll sit down for talks. I’ll make no secret of the fact that my understanding from the call was that he’s flattered by the interest shown in him from England. We’ll have to wait and see,” said Rummenigge.
The German international has been with Bayern Munich since he was a teenager, playing 500 games for them while also racking up over 100 caps for his national team in an impressive career – winning eight Bundesliga titles with his club and a World Cup for his country.